1 a small narrow pointed missile that is thrown or shot
2 a tapered tuck made in dressmaking
3 a sudden quick movement [syn: flit]
2 run or move very quickly or hastily; "She dashed into the yard" [syn: dash, scoot, scud, flash, shoot]
3 move with sudden speed; "His forefinger darted in all directions as he spoke"
EtymologyOld French dart, of German origin; compare Old High German tart javelin, dart, Anglo Saxon dara, daro, Swedish dart dagger, Icelandic darrar dart
- A pointed missile weapon, intended to be thrown by the hand; a
short lance; a javelin; hence, any sharp-pointed missile weapon, as
- And he [Joab] took three darts in his hand, and thrust them through the heart of Absalom. - 2nd Samuel 18:14
- Anything resembling a dart; anything that pierces or wounds
like a dart.
- The artful inquiry, whose venomed dart Scarce wounds the hearing while it stabs the heart. - Hannan More
- A sudden or fast movement.
- A fold that is stitched on a garment.
- A spear set as a prize in running. - Geoffrey Chaucer
- A fish; the dace. See dace.
- A game of throwing darts at a target.
- French: pli piqué m s
- Dart sac, (Zoölogy): a sac connected with the reproductive organs of land snails, which contains a dart, or arrowlike structure.
- To throw with a sudden effort or thrust, as a dart or other missile weapon; to hurl or launch.
- To throw suddenly or rapidly; to send forth; to emit; to shoot; as, the sun darts
forth his beams.
- Or what ill eyes malignant glances dart? - Alexander Pope
- To fly or pass swiftly, as a dart; to move rapidly in one direction; to shoot out quickly
- To start and run with velocity; to shoot rapidly along; as, the deer darted from the thicket.
DartDart may refer to:
- Dart (kite (geometry)), a concave deltoid
- Dart (missile), a type of missile thrown or shot
- Darts, a popular game, often played in pubs
- Dart (sewing), a structure used in sewing to shape a garment around a convex body part, such as the bustline, shoulderblade, buttocks or belly. It is a stitched pointed pleat that permits shaping in the middle of a pattern piece rather than at a join between two pieces
- Darts (band), a British doo-wop group of the 1970s and 1980s
- Dart (rocket), a free flying payload section of a sounding rocket
- Rolls-Royce Dart, a turboprop engine
- River Dart, a river in Devon, UK
- Dart Feld, the central character of the PlayStation RPG, The Legend of Dragoon
- Dart, a Pirate/Berserker in Fire Emblem (Game Boy Advance)
- The Darts, skipper butterflies of the genus Potanthus
- 'Darts', a System of a Down song.
- The Dart, a Birmingham weekly publication (1876-1911)
- Cape Dart
- Dart (automobile company), a defunct car company
- Dennis Dart, a bus model manufactured by Dennis/Transbus/Alexander Dennis
- Dodge Dart, a successful automobile produced by the Chrysler Corporation
- Dart (catamaran), a brand of one or two person "beach" catamarans, frequently raced competitively
- Dart, a South Devon Railway Eagle class 4-4-0ST steam locomotive
- Wraith dart, a fictional spacecraft on Stargate Atlantis.
- Culver Dart, a 1930s American light aircraft.
- Goggomobil Dart, a sports car designed and built in Australia.
- MS Dart 3, a ferry that was operated by Dart Lines.
- MS Dart 7, a ferry that was operated by Dart Lines.
DARTDART may stand for:
- Demonstration of Autonomous Rendezvous Technology, a NASA demonstration spacecraft launched on April 15, 2005
- DART Internet, an internet service provider in Australia
- DART Machinery a performance automobile engine component manufacturer
- Disaster Assistance and Rescue Team, a search and rescue unit in the Singapore Civil Defence Force
- Disaster Assistance Response Team, a rapidly deployable unit in the Canadian Forces
- Deep-ocean Assessment and Reporting of Tsunamis system, part of an expanded tsunami warning system
- In industrial safety, DART is an incident rate metric that means "Days Away, Restricted, or Transferred."
- Dragonland's Aryan Restoration Troops, a website claiming to belong to a militant Bhutanese organization
- DART for Enterprise, an online ad serving technology produced by DoubleClick, an online advertising solutions company
- DART ion source, an open-air ion source for mass spectrometry and ion mobility spectrometry
- Diversity Arrays Technology, a genotyping technology
- Driver Ability Road Test, a driving test run by the RTA in NSW Australia, which Student Drivers must pass in order to receive their Provisional License
- DART (software), open source build and test software
- Dynamic Analysis and Replanning Tool an artificial intelligence program used to solve transportation and logistical problems of the U.S. military
- Dallas Area Rapid Transit, a system of bus, light rail, and commuter trains in greater Dallas, Texas, USA
- DART First State, formerly the Delaware Authority for Regional Transit, Delaware, USA
- Dublin Area Rapid Transit, Ireland
- Justin Dart
- Thurston Dart
- Raymond Dart
- Doc Corbin Dart
- G. F. J. Dart
- Dart (comics), an Image Comics superhero created by Erik Larsen
dart in German: Dart
dart in French: Dart
dart in Dutch: Dart
dart in Russian: Дарт (значения)
antelope, arrow, arrowhead, barb, beesting, blue darter, blue streak, bobtailed arrow, bolt, bowl, bustle, buzz about, cannonball, career, cast, catapult, chested arrow, chuck, chunk, cloth yard shaft, courser, dash, eagle, electricity, express train, fang, fire, flash, flight, fling, flip, float, flutter, fly, fork, fuss, gazelle, greased lightning, greyhound, hare, haste, hasten, heave, hie, hump, hump it, hurl, hurry, hurry about, hurtle, jerk, jet plane, lance, launch, let fly, light, lightning, lob, make a fuss, make haste, mercury, pass, peg, pelt, pitch, pitchfork, post, precipitate, put, put the shot, quarrel, quicksilver, race, reed, rocket, run, rush, rush about, rush around, sail, scamper, scared rabbit, scoot, scour, scramble, scud, scurry, scuttle, serve, shaft, shoot, shot, shy, skedaddle, skim, sling, snakebite, snap, speed, sprint, spurt, step on it, sting, stinger, streak, streak of lightning, striped snake, swallow, tang, tear, tear around, thought, throw, thunderbolt, tilt, torrent, toss, volley, whiz about, wind